Another good blog by Zaruk on the appalling decision by the EU to ban GMOs etc.
This is largely due to the pressure of anti-science NGOs who con too many people.
Perhaps it gives an argument for leaving the EU – and the only one a remainer like me could be convinced of.
Below must be the little shits in bee costumes
On 25 July 2018, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that plants bred via recent mutagenesis techniques would fall under the suffocating 2001 GMO regulatory regime. The pre-designed hurdles this legislation intentionally imposes on researchers (data, time, money) will lower the likelihood of approving any seed breeding innovation in the EU to, well, zero.
This is a confused, scientifically illiterate decision in a European court that highlights failure on many levels:
- A failure for science and science-based decision-making;
- a failure of the European legal system to recognise how this case is part of a larger activist issue exploited by opportunistic zealots;
- a failure for farmers and consumers who are becoming more dependent on technological advances to deliver healthy, safe, affordable food;
- a failure for researchers in developing countries whose vital solutions to local problems will be stymied by regulatory copy-paste;
- and most importantly, this is a failure…
View original post 1,675 more words